Sunday 17 November 2013

Sunday Stills: Coming of Age in Iran


Look: Art in the archive at National Geographic. View the email on a web browser.
-
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Proof Blog Your Shot








Sunday Stills
ISSUE 04
Sunday, November 17, 2013






MUSINGS
Coming of Age
in Iran
Coming of Age in Iran
KIANA HAYERI, FROM “MUSINGS: COMING OF AGE IN IRAN”
Kiana Hayeri unveils the intimate and unseen lives of young Iranian men and women coming of age in a segregated, isolated Iran. She shares these stories from behind the scenes, where young people are trying to find a place to explore, discover, indulge in desires, and search for themselves and for freedoms no matter how small or fleeting, hoping to live outside the realities of a country controlled by religious rule.
READ






INSTANCE
Ira Block
on Instagram
Ira Block

Patterns in the ceiling of the Hagia Sophia Museum in Istanbul. #iphone #Istanbul #Turkey @thephotosociety @natgeo
LOOK






NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PHOTO CONTEST
My Girl

ADELINA ILIEV, 2013 PHOTO CONTEST ENTRY
"It would have been my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary, but my dad didn’t make it by two months. I was spending some precious time with the two of them last summer when my dad, then bed-bound, got hold of my mum’s hand and with great affection said, 'My girl.' I promptly got my camera to capture this bittersweet moment. It was to be the last time I ever took photos of dad. He was, among many things, a keen photographer. I think I got the bug from him."
SEE ALL PHOTO CONTEST ENTRIES






PROOF
Walter Boggs Makes Gear
That Can’t Be Bought
WALTER BOGGS’s HIPPO SKETCH
Walter Boggs is a mechanical engineer at National Geographic. His task is to make the gear that can’t be bought. He was once asked to create a life-size hippopotamus.

“Dr. Brady Barr came to me five or six years ago and asked me if I could build him a hippopotamus. I naively said, ‘Sure! I can do that.’ And then I thought to myself, Gee! You don’t even really know what a hippo looks like! You’d better find out fast.”

He went on to build a hippopotamus that Brady could fit inside and use as a photo blind. The hippo’s foundation was a 3’ x 6’ aluminum cage, similar to a roll cage in a race car, and Boggs worked with a taxidermist to make the outside of the hippo as lifelike as possible. The suit was a success—Barr was accepted as a hippo in the wild.
READ MORE






Show Your Support:   SHOP DONATE SUBSCRIBE TRAVEL BECOME A MEMBER
Facebook Twitter Instagram Google+


You are receiving this email because las.ratnayake.phototips@blogger.com is signed up to receive National Geographic communications. If you prefer not to receive emails from us, please unsubscribe.

To ensure that you receive your National Geographic emails,
please add ngs@e.nationalgeographic.com to your address book now. Learn how.

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | About Us | Customer Service

National Geographic | 1145 17th Street N.W. | Washington, D.C. 20036

Copyright © 2013 National Geographic Society. All Rights Reserved.




No comments:

Post a Comment